Courtesy of the ato.gov.au
We all need to protect our information from identity thieves.
Identity thieves can use stolen identities and other personal information to:
- access your bank account and shop using your credit card
- access your myGov account
- steal your super
- apply for a government benefit
- sell your house
- sell your details on the black market
- create fake businesses and commit refund fraud in your name
- take over your business and submit adjustments for BAS that you have lodged before
- take over existing AUSkeys or create new AUSkeys in your name and commit fraud
- sell your identity to national or international organised crime groups.
Thieves may only need some basic details such as name, date of birth, address, myGov details or tax file number (TFN).
If criminals steal your identity, it can take a long time to fix. It may be difficult for you to get a job or a loan, rent a house, or apply for government services or benefits.
If you suspect your TFN or ABN has been stolen, misused or compromised, phone us as soon as possible on 1800 467 033 between 8.00am and 6.00pm Monday–Friday so we can investigate and place additional protective measures on your account.